My kids are so excited to see Disney•Pixar’s Coco, coming to Australian cinemas on Boxing Day.
The iconic studio’s latest animated romp follows the story of Miguel, a 12-year-old self-taught guitarist who decides to follow his dreams of becoming a musician, despite his family’s generations-old ban on music.
It’s a heartwarming tale of family bonds, friendship and following your dreams, and will definitely leave you littlies feeling inspired to pick up a guitar themselves!
So why not get crafty with the kids these upcoming School Holidays and create your very own Coco-inspired guitar?
Using a few simple supplies that you’ve probably already got at home, your kids could be strumming away like Miguel from Coco in no time. Here’s how to make your very own Coco-inspired DIY guitar.
How To Make A Coco-Inspired DIY Guitar
What You’ll Need
- An empty tissue box
- A cardboard tube (ones from paper towel or wrapping paper work perfectly)
- 5 rubber bands (big enough to wrap around your tissue box)
- Sticky tape
What To Do
- Remove the plastic insert in the opening of the tissue box.
- Put a small hole in one end of the tissue box and cut small slits out from the hole big enough to slide the cardboard tube into place.
- Place the cardboard tube into the hole and secure with sticky tape.
4. Paint or decorate your guitar as desired.
5. Once dry, pull the rubber bands either lengthways or width ways across the tissue box opening to create the guitar “strings”.
There you have it, your very own Coco-inspired guitar that costs next to nothing and will keep the kids entertained for hours. If you’re feeling even more ambitious you could create drums, shakers and more. With a bit of imagination, the kids could have a whole band created in no time!
About Disney Pixar’s Coco
Coco is Disney•Pixar’s latest animated film which follows the story of 12-year-old Miguel who lives with his grandmother Coco in a Mexican village. Miguel is determined to follow his musical dreams to become a famous guitarist despite his family’s long-standing ban on all music. The film follows Miguel on his heartwarming and fun journey as he embraces his passion and in the process, the truth about his family’s history.
It’s the perfect movie to enjoy with the family these school holidays. Check out the trailer below and make sure to join us at our a free Sydney event this month celebrating the world of Coco. Head here for more info.