At some point or another, everyone feels like they don’t fit in—especially moms. We think we’re not wearing the right thing, eating the right thing, doing the right thing, or being the kind of parent that meets the perfect standards set in our communities. This is why moms everywhere absolutely adore Katie Otto of American Housewife: She is exactly who we wish we were in the same situations we go through every day. Awesomely imperfect, always honest.
Here are ten reasons why we want to be just like Katie.
1. No matter how little sleep she gets, or how much running around she does as a mom of three kids, she always finds the energy to be her family’s biggest cheerleader.
2. She made a move to a town she didn’t want to live in because it was the best place for one of her kids to flourish — and she at least tries to mingle with people she has absolutely nothing in common with (who irritate her to no end).
3. Even though she struggles with accepting her weight and loving how she looks, she makes sure she gets into the picture with her kids so as to never miss a moment.
4. She wears her big, beautiful heart on her overly-expressive sleeve.
5. She’s well aware that she married someone who is (hilariously) her polar opposite, and chooses to celebrate that in a parenting partner instead of hold it against him.
6. When Mama wants a treat SHE HAS A TREAT.
7. She is not afraid to speak up about things, like how teenaged girls should not be shamed for wanting to eat an entire muffin by themselves or when she is just not in the mood to deal with annoying people.
8. She is supportive of her kids, even when they do things she doesn’t totally agree with or think are really, really strange. Like, REALLY strange.
9. Like most moms, she’s almost always right. (RIGHT???) But when she’s wrong, she’s willing to admit it. Sometimes even in writing.
10. But she won’t apologize for how her beloved family isn’t the cookie cutter picture of perfection, nor will they ever be — because that is 100 percent okay with her.