This statement accessory makes celebs and style icons so cool as they breeze through LAX or wander through the weekend farmer's market. And lately every time I spot one of my favorite celeb mamas in a new fashion hat look, I impulsively purchase a more affordable version of my own. But when it came time to incorporate my new hats into my everyday mom ensemble, I suddenly felt more costume-y and less cool and instantly abandoned my stylish hat wearing dreams. How do these cool hat-donning celebs do it? What is their hat style secret?
After a little hat recon, I realized that rockin' my favorite spring fashion hats wasn't as complex as I thought. Here are my favorite style tips and looks that easily add our new hats into our everyday mom outfits and take our looks to a new fashion level.
Best Fashion Hats by Face Shape:
- Oval: The universally flattering face shape. Wide brim (no more than shoulder width), floppy, or fedora styles are my personal favorites.
- Round: Assymetrical fedoras and other defined crown silhouettes create a visually appealing look by elongating this face shape.
- Rectangle: Full or uplifted brimmed hats (avoid the small brim and high crown!) win at softening the jawline.
- Square: Irregular brims and defined crowns work best to elongate the square face shape and soften the jawline.
- Triangular: Hats with higher crowns and assymetrical brims look perfect since they add forehead height.
- Heart: Medium brims, defined crowns, and angled styling are the best ways to narrow the forehead.
Fashion Hat Styling Tips:
- Extra Accessorizing: Less is more when we add a hat to our style mix. Go easy on the bold jewelry and printed scarves and opt for simple pieces instead.
- Complementary Colors: Infuse similar shades of your spring fashion hat's color story into your outfit. Jessica Alba paired her sage hued hat with a similar shaded shirt, Kourtney K opted for a navy clad look, and January Jones stepped out in shades of gray.
- Denim and Neutrals Always Win: Don't fight the fashion statement your hat is making with too many crazy colors or insane patterns. For an easy, understated look, denim/chambray pieces and neutral solids or stripes sing well with any spring fashion hat.
Spring Fashion Hat Look No. 1
Spring Fashion Hat Look No. 2
Spring Fashion Hat Look No. 3
What spring fashion hats are on your wish list?
More Spring Fashion:
- In Bloom: Floral Dresses for Every Occasion
- Make Radiant Orchid Work for You
- Celeb Crush: Olivia Wilde Maternity Style—Get the Look
images via Getty