Keep your niñas’ textured tendrils in tip-top shape with these tried-and-true tips:
1. Don’t wash her hair every day. The natural oils in hair help fight frizz. By over-washing hair, you strip those oils out.
2. Use a hydrating product to keep her ringlets shiny and soft. Jacqueline Hernandez, a mom in Queens, NY, likes SoCozy Cinch 2 in 1 Shampoo + Body Wash and Super Hydrating Conditioner. “I apply a good amount of conditioner to coat every strand, from root to ends, and let it sit for at least five minutes to really soften her curls,” she says.
3. Apply a leave-in conditioner before you comb the tangles out. “The conditioner helps soften the tangles, and makes it less painful to brush out,” says Idalia Nunez of New Milford, NJ. The mom of three says she works on three-inch sections of hair at a time, starting at the bottom and working her way up to minimize breakage.
4. Don’t style her hair in tight ponytails. Curly hair is naturally dry and weak, so tugging and pulling during styling can cause it to break.
5. Braid hair the night before to avoid AM knots. Because, really, who has time to deal with knots before school?