I hear so many moms say that they don’t have the time or talent for a Pinterest-worthy birthday party for their kids. But here’s the thing: You can create a chic, totally beautiful party by styling a few store-bought desserts the right way (and no, you don’t have to be a pro to do the kind of set-up I’m talking about). Here are a few tricks I’ve learned that, yes, you can do, too.
1. Buy a plain cake from your local grocery store, then decorate it. Start with a simple round cake and ask the baker to cover it with smooth vanilla or chocolate frosting. Add an inexpensive cake topper of some sort to dress it up. No one will guess it’s a cheap cake from the grocery store. If you order one of the sheet cakes with all the trinkets, the price increases dramatically. The same goes for cupcakes.
2. Display store-bought cookies in a beautiful way. This elegant idea will cost less than $5. You can do this with homemade cookies, too.
3. You can also try this trick with doughnuts, which cost $10 (or less) for 12 to 24. Doughnuts are always a winner, and the grocery store options are delicious. Top them with something or just stack them on a pretty plate.
4. Arrange animal crackers or popcorn in a fun way. This idea costs $6 or less for 24 mini cups, and you can fill them with animal crackers, fruit snacks, or some other little sweet.
Photos: Live the Fancy Life.
More Birthday Party Ideas:
- All You Really Need for a Kid’s Birthday Party
- 3 Birthday Parties That Go Way Beyond Pretty
- Kids Parties 101: Avoid Disaster with These Simple Tips